May 6, 2008

This is not your grandma's swordplay!

This past sunday at TaiChi, I took a sword to the forehead:



Head wounds bleed like a motherfuck! The sleeve of my shirt is definitely permanently stained. Thankfully, there was no concussion. Just an ugly gash that had to be sewn up with six tiny stitches.

Given my hyperactive childhood, it's amazing these are my first stitches. It wasn't pleasant, but I've felt worse. The local anesthetic hurt the most and the thread going in and out felt odd, but Vic was there to distract me so I didn't dwell on the bizarre sensation. I was quite impressed by the doctor's sewing. The thread is tiny and he was very efficient.

The stitches should be coming out tomorrow, which I've heard can be more painful than getting them put in.

Should leave a pretty awesome scar - at least I can tell people it was from a sword!

Here's a really gross but fascinating (OK, maybe just to me) close-up of the fine work:


2 comments:

Tom Meschter said...

Bah. The worst I've gotten from Aikido is punched in the face.

You win. :-)

Anonymous said...

I pity the Fu.

Man, I have been waiting a long time to use that.

Not a bad stitch job, seen better though.