July 17, 2008

Summertime

Wow, July is already half over! Summer always goes by so fast.

This summer has been particularly good for movies. I think I've seen more in the past month than I did all of last year. It helps that most have been comic book based :)

Ironman: Like everyone else, I was blown away by how good this was. Easily the best movie of the year so far. Well paced, well acted, well produced, and very enjoyable!

Incredible Hulk: Satisfying portrayal with nice fan service bits and lots of Hulk smashiness. If Ironman hadn't come out this year, I think this would have been better received. A solid film, but not enough to meet the high bar that Marvel set beforehand.

Wanted: Pleasantly surprised! It had zilch relevance to the comic (too bad, because the comic was good) but the reckless fuck-you attitude and bold style really clicked with me. It's impossible to disagree with Angelina Jolie toting guns in tight leather, and the main actor is absolutely brilliant. The action is over the top and the premise incredibly silly, but it was damn fun!

Hellboy II: Gorgeous and visually inventive, the first 3/4 was great, but the resolution was disappointing, not consistent with the universe or characters at all. Two minutes after it ended, I already wrote a better way to reach the story's climax. Too bad.

Dark Knight tonight...

1 comment:

Stupid Cupid Commandant said...

...I *sooo* need to see wanted...