December 16, 2008

Garage Kits, Part 1

Over the past two years, I've picked up the garage kit hobby.

What you say? Well, garage kits are usually made of resin or vinyl and mainly fan based on TV, movies, superheroes or anime, though original characters do pop up. The term "garage" refers to the origin when sculptors and kit producers literally worked in their home garages. Now there's a number of professional outfits as well as independent artists making these things.

There is some distinction between Japanese and Western kits; subject matter, style, marketing, and distribution vary. But in the end, I find both enjoyable.

I'm starting on a Japanese kit now. It's smaller than I normally work with, but it's just so cute! The kit comes in several resin pieces, which I wash with water and dish detergent.



At first glance, everything looks OK. But upon closer inspection, you can see some flaws. Just a few of them shown below.

Blurry photo, but you can make out faint depressions in the resin:


Rough edge:


This one is all my fault, I accidentally cut off a chunk while trimming the edge:


Depending on manufacturing, quality differs. Most common problems are rough spots, bubbles, seams, and alignment issues. Preparing the pieces is one of the most important steps in building a kit. I'm not very good at it, but I try my best!

Next up: fixing all these annoying issues!

No comments: