May 14, 2009

A Tale of Corporate America

Since the firm no longer provides cups (or coffee, or utensils, or even a cafeteria anymore), I've been using a mug at work. It's one of those ubiquitous dark blue mugs, this one emblazoned with the Wharton logo. School affiliation has never been a big deal with my team. We still follow small business mentality: who cares about your education, as long as you get shit done right.

Now that we're in a megafirm, we share space with some typical Wall Street holier-than-thou types. Many look down on us: we don't dress business formal, we hang colorful pictures around our workspace, we're boisterous and opinionated and non-traditional.

A few days ago, I brought my mug into the bathroom to wash. I purposefully turned the Wharton logo away, because it's not my style to advertise. I did my bathroom business, and as I came out, I noticed a woman from one of the more arrogant groups leaving the sink where I had placed my mug. The mug was turned with the logo facing out. As I began washing my hands and the mug, I noticed her eyebrows lift and I was subjected to an appraising scan.

First of all, who the hell touches another person's mug in the bathroom sink?

Second, that's right, bitch. I'm not wearing an expensive suit, I have legos and Star Wars toys in my office, I rock a PB&J lunch, and my background just caught you with your pants down.

I've noticed since that day, when I see that woman in the hall, instead of looking down her nose at me, she quickly glances away :)

2 comments:

Stupid Cupid Commandant said...

I'm having an interesting debate myself...I get 50% off hair services at a whole bunch of ultra high end salons in the city in a few weeks (yay yelp!) So, I'm thinking of doing crazy highlights and some fancy pants 'do. I was wondering what would happen if I had to go to a subcontrator's spot...would they take me seriously? Sounds like they'll just be embarrassed...I like :).

D said...

I rarely speak about where I graduated from at my company as well-- but because of the opposite reaction. 75% of the 12,000 people there are from local or regional colleges, and they have a HUGE inferiority complex. Seriously, this is not some self-congratulatory fabrication. One of my alumnus friends there in a staff meeting when one of his peers said, "Let's let the Wharton grad answer that." And it wasn't in a respectful manner...

These are the (rare) days that I wish my company was located in Manhattan.