August 6, 2009

Cash for the Conscientious?

This whole "Cash for Clunkers" thing has got me pissed. Mainly because I won't be benefiting from it.

When I bought my first car, I specifically looked for something small with high mpg. I chose a Ford Focus (ZX3 hatchback, which alas, they don't make anymore). I've taken good care of this vehicle for six years, making sure my maintenance was kept, tires pressurized properly, cleaning filters, all the things one does to maximize fuel efficiency. I was doing this back when gas was under 2 bucks a gallon.

And while I've been a good environmental citizen, those schmucks who bought Explorers and Hummers and vanity trucks (honestly, there is no reason anyone who works a desk job needs an F150 to commute every day) are now getting a break on a new car. It just rankles me, that doing the smart thing means I get nothing, while those who made mistakes get rewarded. If anything, the government should send me a $4500 check, to thank me for oil and pollution costs I've saved the country over the past six years!

One silver lining: the Ford Focus is the top seller in the program!

No comments: