May 4, 2010

Should I be Offended?

On several occasions now, our new manager has described me as "cute." It's not sexual in any way. Walking into my office today, she says "Oh, you're so cute concentrating so hard on that computer screen!" Or a few weeks ago, "It's so cute how you cough into your elbow to avoid getting germs on others!" Or "What a cute habit you have of walking everywhere with that notepad!"

I don't sense any malice, but it does have a patronizing vibe, like she can't get over how young I am. Perhaps I'm some sort of managerial kitten or little puppy director, and she can't help but coo when she sees me do grown-up professional things.

But I'm not sure if I'm offended. She's doing her best to run a business completely new to her, while trying to win over those of us in the core group. Maybe this is just her attempt at making nice. It definitely catches me off guard, though!

No comments: