September 5, 2010

Fantasy Is Not Dead!

Although I've only posted a small number of book reviews, I'm a voracious reader, especially of fantasy. There's a lot of crap in that genre, but I'm happy to report that this year I've read at least two thoroughly satisfying series.

Mistborn has been around for a while, but I only just finished the trilogy (yes, an actual trilogy; the third book does conclude the story!) and the best feature of the books is the unique and inventive magic system. Sanderson really fleshes out the world's arcane rules and mechanics, which totally appeals to the gamer in me. Lots of action, plot twists, and interesting characters with great relationships.

The second series I'm really digging isn't done yet. First book is The Warded Man and its sequel, The Desert Spear, just came out this year. Again, I'm attracted to the well designed magic system, and the way its rules govern the world. Plus, the main characters are badass and their adventures much fun to follow.


These two authors have built wonderful standalone universes that are consistent, filled with creative creatures and personalities, and best of all, they both write well. In a sea of tropes and bad fiction, it's nice to find books I'll definitely read again and again.

No comments: