January 28, 2009

Garage Kits, Part 4

When the priming/sanding/putty phase is over, then begins the fun part: painting! Many modellers use an airbrush, but I haven't the budget or skillz for that route. I make do with hand painting.

You can use almost any kind of paint: oil, lacquer, and acrylic are most popular. I stick with acrylic because it's cheap, easy to clean, and widely available.

We have a vast collection of paints, thanks to Vic's game minis background:

The brands we use are Vallejo, Games Workshop, and Reaper.

Here's my brush arsenal. I prefer flat brushes, in a wide range of widths, as well as a few fine detail ones:


For paint mixing, I use these nifty chemical weighing trays (it's good to live with someone who works in a lab!):

They are coated in teflon, non-reactive, and marvelous for holding paint. Plus, I don't need to clean them, once the paint dries, I can reuse without any of the old color seeping off.

No comments: