April 15, 2009

Garage Kits, Part 5

It's been a while since my last Garage Kit update! I left off on painting...

The key to hand painting is thinning the paint. I use water, some prefer windex or pledge. Dilute the paint to a consistency like milk, where it should flow easily from the brush. Thin paint means you leave less visible brushstrokes. This also means you have to be patient and use multiple layers, waiting for each layer to dry before the next.

First, I mix the desired color:


Here's the first coat. It looks awful, as the diluted paint has bad coverage and is very anemic:


Four coats later, the color builds:


The final coat (about 10 total on this piece) is rich and finally achieves the desired hue:


I repeat this layering method on all the parts, using thin, even coats. You can also blend colors and layer various shades as the paint builds up. This is definitely my favorite part, as you get to mix different colors and slowly see the kit come alive!

No comments: