April 14, 2009

Nickelodeon Makes a Cartoon I Like?!

I enjoy quite a few "kid" shows, like The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, a couple others. The common thread is that these shows are great for children, but also provide enjoyable entertainment for adults too. They have what I call the "Pixar Touch" - through clever storytelling, compelling characters, creative worlds, beautiful animation, or combinations thereof, they manage to appeal to both young audiences and their parents. Another common thread: these tend to be Cartoon Network productions.

Recently we've been addicted to Avatar: The Last Airbender, which surprised me, as I have never liked any other Nick animations. They seem a little too childish, like Spongebob and Dora. But Avatar has a maturity about it, a focus on story and characters that has really grabbed me. It's not only gorgeous to watch, but fun, heart warming, intriguing, and innovative.

The series is technically finished (we've been catching up on Netflix) so no new episodes are airing. But it seemed pretty successful for the network, so I hope that means more shows in the same vein!

No comments: