April 3, 2009

Veggies!

Partly because I've bought into Michael Pollan's philosophy and partly because it never hurts to eat healthier, we've purchased a share at Honey Brook Organic Farm. The farm is an hour away, but they offer pick-up conveniently located 10 min from us. The price is really reasonable: $624 for six months, averaging a bushel of produce each week. I actually think it beats supermarket organic prices, especially if you consider the added benefit of freshness and knowing where your food came from.

The whole Community Support Agriculture movement fascinates me. In a nutshell, you become a "shareholder" of the farm. You pay up front in the winter, when they need money to purchase seed, equipment, etc. Then the harvest is apportioned among those who paid. It does come with caveats: you only receive what grows in the area (alas, no avocados or bananas, but luckily NJ is great for tomatoes, eggplant, and berries) and you're subject to weather, disease, and all the other fun things that ruin crops. But overall, it seems like a sound investment.

The shares start arriving in May. I'm excited to see how this goes!

1 comment:

Stupid Cupid Commandant said...

I'm super intrigued to hear your thoughts on this. I've been doing this for the past month here in SF, but I'm not going to be able to keep at it. For one person, it is waaaay too much food. The stellar stuff I've had though is potatoes, grapefruit, bananas, and oranges (gotta love california citrus :) ).